I am tired of going to stores with signs saying “Cash or Food Stamps EBT Cards Only, No Debit, No Credit Card)”. I just went to buy some low carb bread (I am still trying to make the Atkins thing work), and I had a few dollars in my pocket. So, when I saw the sign listed above, I realized I could only buy one item. OK, I didn’t notice the food stamp portion until I was standing in line with my dollar bill in hand and the customer in front with the cart full had what looked like a credit card in hand. The customer purchased with food stamps a box of Swiss Chocolate Rolls, Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars, 6 bottled drinks, several bags of chips, and a loaf of bread. I asked why I am being restricted to a cash purchase when I have money in the bank that belongs to me while others are allowed to spend their food stamps money with the EBT card. There was no answer. Either way, the food stamp system is just so wasteful. We are subsidizing the Frito Lays, Little Debbie, Coca Cola, and all these other junk foods being purchased with food stamps programs. How is that necessary for a family? These should be items purchased after all other necessities. If someone wants to spend their money on junk food, that’s great. But I shouldn’t have to cover it with my tax dollars through the food stamp system. We need to do something about this.
Tag Archives: bills
Another great weekend of football has gone by the wayside. College and NFL games really turned out some big upsets, and some great finishes. Due to my whirlwind schedule on Saturday and Sunday, I didn’t get to watch a single game, with the exception of the second half of last night’s Patriots/Colts game.
The U pulled out an incredible drive to finish regulation in a tie against UVA. After penalties and a negative play, the final drive was 99 yards led by Jacory Harris and capped by a 30ish yard prayer of a TD pass and chewed up over 7 minutes of the clock to tie the game. UM then missed a game winning fieldgoal with 4 second left. In OT, UM quickly scored a TD with another pass from Harris. UVA, in their possession, ran the ball and looked like they would be plowing in quickly. After 11 yards, the Virginia RB fumbled the ball and the game away. UM wins 24-17 in a great win for Miami.
The Dolphins pulled out yet another unexpected win against a favored team on the road. This time, the victim was the Denver Broncos. The defense, particularly Will Allen, turned up huge in this game. The Ronnie Brown show continued to be a driving force as well. At 4-4, and with a weak AFC, it is not crazy to think about the possibility of a playoff run. The Houston game could have and should have had a different result. We would be talking about a 5-3 team right now. As of now, it is a vastly different season than last.
Here is a great game, Texas vs Texas Tech matchup. Did anyone actually expect the Red Raiders to beat the Longhorns? I know any team with an offense as good as TT’s can do something special, even against some of the best teams in the nation. But the way TT played defense was the biggest surprise. There were several series straight for the Longhorns that had negative yards. They were at the most crucial points of the game, in the second and third quarter. But then the WR from Texas (Williams) made some great plays to put Texas right back in the game late and then even take a lead. Then with a few seconds left, the Red Raiders showed their steel. TD, game over, Texas Tech pulls the big upset. This year is not over at all in the Big 12, considering TT has to get past very good OK State and Oklahoma teams in 2 of their last 3 games. That south division looks to be very strong!
UF beat Georgia like a rented mule. They were short one point of the greatest margin of victory in the series history. That’s impressive considering how long this series has been running. Tebow accounted for 5 TD’s, 3 on the ground and 2 through the air to become the all time TD rushing leader in UF history surpassing Emmitt Smith who was actually a running back. Tebow is by far the best player in football this year, much less the best QB. I do not like the Gators, but I am a fan of this guy!
On to fantasy football. Let me touch really quickly on a few things. I will likely hand Ritz his second loss of the year (I beat him in game one and he has not lost since) yet he will remain in first. Jesse‘s Fuser Heads will lose as well, and he will remain in 2nd place. Pastor Trav is looking at his 4th win in a row, as he makes a serious push for the playoffs. I am going to hold on to first place in the Vegas style LPC league, and I will capture the best week of all the members in the second chance league, but I will not even come close to the lead. I have a lot of work to do in the second chance league. But things are really heating up! More tomorrow on the fantasy football report.
- I have the day off today. Marcela and I made a list of things to do for today so I will make it productive unlike Monday.
- Monday I had the day off and wasted it sleeping and watching TV. I felt so guilty, and I didn’t even really enjoy it.
- I have reached a different thought process in my life, totally different than about 4 years ago and before. I hate sleeping, I hate wasting a day, I hate being couped up in my house. I want to get out and do something whether it is productive or not. I just don’t like to waste time sleeping.
- Today I will pay bills, visit the bank, get a haircut, do some grocery shopping, and one or two other things outside the realm.
- I have a cold or something. It’s some fever (I think it’s broken now), headache, sore throat, cough, stuffy head, and a little fatigue. I actually hope it’s a cold, that way I know it will be gone in a day or two.
- Orlando finally took one. They have to take one in Detroit to have a shot. If not, Detroit will most likely be up against Boston for the East finals.
- Kobe was awarded the league MVP, and LA won their 6th straight. He’s predicting that LA will be playing into June. I can’t really disagree with him at this point.
- San Antonio is in deep. They are going to need to do something really special to make it out of the semi’s against the Hornets. I am a true Heat fan, but my second team is the Spurs (if you are allowed to do that). I’ve been a big fan since the early days of the Admiral David Robinson. But Tim Duncan and Toni Parker are just class acts. We will see if they have the stuff to pull this one out.
- I got a pat on the back at work and some certificates to the cafeteria for going to night shift for three weeks. THANKS! I feel so special.
- I’m still tweeting. Chris, what’s up? Are you coming or not?
- I’ve been listening to Dave Matthews Band quite a bit lately. Groovy.
- Hillary is not going to quit until someone has the necessary votes even though the pundits say it’s over.
- It’s kind of funny to me to see the party of Al Gore and the FL recount, the party of all the fuss about one man one vote, and the party which claimed that they are against the disenfranchising of thousands of voters to turn around and disenfranchise HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of voters in Michigan and Florida.
- Someone needs to remind the DEMOCRATS that they are supposedly the party of DEMOCRACY. The super delegate system is not democratic. It is completely elitist.
- The Democrat candidate is going to be determined by party officials and elite party members, not the rank and file Democrats who voted in the primaries.