Todays quote is from the movie “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation”. When the Griswolds finally locate that perfect tree, in reflecting over the moment with his frozen crew, Clark makes this classic speech.
The most enjoying traditions of the season are best enjoyed in the warm embrace of kith and kin. Thith tree is a thymbol of the thpirit of the Griswold family Chrithmath.
-Clark W. Griswold
One of the fun parts of the Christmas season is watching the great Christmas movies. These are my favorite Christmas films. I am revising my previous list on Thursday’s thoughts.
Scrooged – This is a modern and hilarious re telling of the Christmas Carol with my favorite comedic actor, Bill Murray. His snarky arrogance fits perfectly for the twist that is needed to portray Frank Cross (the Scrooge character) as an ambitious man who has lost touch with what is really important in life, love.
#5. Home Alone – This movie humorously pointed out the value of family, second chances, and need for paint cans and beebee guns to make booby traps for bad guys. How can you dislike this flick?
#4. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation – There is a tradition in my maternal uncle’s family of watching this movie every Christmas. It really doesn’t get old. Poor Clark just wants to do something great for his family, but it always blows up in his face. This time it’s Christmas as he dreams of adding a pool to the house with his Christmas bonus money. Even though he has successfully created a non-nutritive cereal varnish that keeps the flakes crispy in milk for a longer time, he gets a “Jelly of the Month” subscription because the company’s cutting back.
#3. Scrooge aka A Christmas Carol – I like the 1951 Alastair Sim version best, but I also enjoy the remake with George C. Scott. The 1951 version was so great because the transformation of Ebeneezer Scrooge was so visibly evident when he changed following the visits by the ghosts.
#2. A Christmas Story – It’s a little dark and wierd, but funny and true. It captures the way kids are just so desperate for that one perfect gift that will make their life complete. I guess the reason I liked this movie so much was I enjoyed the quirkiness of the family and the real way that the story was conveyed. Ralphie just had to have that Red Rider BB gun. Better be careful, you’ll shoot your eye out.
#1. It’s a Wonderful Life – This is not only the best Christmas movie, but one of the greatest movies of all time. James Stewart was one of the great actors of all time and was on target as a desperate man truly unaware of his impact on those around him. This tale is moving and has a charm that is completely gone in modern movie making. I can relate a little to George Bailey’s feeling that everything is crashing in and being worth more gone than here. Remember, no man is a failure who has friends.
Of course, this is the part where you try to convince me that Miracle of 34th Street, Jingle All the Way, or Elf should have made my list. As always, my list is correct and complete.
- As of last Friday, it is Christmas season. I always consider the Christmas season starting as soon as Thanksgiving day is over.
- Marcela has already packaged and wrapped presents and put up a couple Christmas trees. Max even had a Santa hat on last night. He didn’t like it very much.
- I finished the last of the leftover Thanksgiving turkey today. I made turkey salad and in the words of cousin Eddy, “it was gooo-ooood.”
- We watched Rudolph the Red-Nosed Raindeer clay-mation show two nights ago. We plan on watching Santa Claus is Coming to Town this weekend. Those are two of my favorite Christmas specials.
- My all time favorite Christmas movies are:
- It’s a Wonderful Life
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
- A Christmas Story (what kid wouldn’t want a Red Rider BB Gun?)
- Home Alone
- Sean Avery of the NHL’s Dallas Stars was suspended indefinitely for calling his ex-girlfriend Elisha Cuthbert of 24 his “sloppy seconds” because she is now dating another NHL player. Many people are crying “FREE SPEECH VIOLATION!” For those who are constitutionally challenged, this is no 1st Amendment violation.
- While I do not agree with a harsh suspension due to the lack of even-handedness across the NHL to players who have said much worse, it is the discretion of the NHL to determine what language reflects poorly on them concerning his player conduct clause in his $15.5 million 4-year contract. The Standard Player Contract he signed specifically states that his conduct reflects on the NHL on and off the rink and “must be held to the highest standard of honesty, morality, fair play, and sportsmanship, and to refrain from conduct detrimental to the best interest of the Club, the League or professional hockey.”
- My disagreement is not that the NHL does not have the right to do such, but that they are coming down hard on this idiot for insulting his Ex while they have done little more than a slap on the wrist for some players who have made racist comments, physically attacked players on the ice unprovoked, and have committed felonies off the rink. The NHL got this one wrong, but so did Avery. Maybe he will learn to keep his mouth shut.
- I got my Curve in the mail yesterday. It is set up and running smoothly. My old BlackBerry has been spotty, signal was degrading, camera stopped working, and battery was fading. I had about 5 days left on my Warranty when I called to see about a new phone. That saved me hundreds of dollars.
- Originally, I had the charcoal colored Curve, and they sent me the red Curve in the mail. I like the red one better!
- Our fantasy football league is winding down with one more regular season game followed by the two game playoffs. Right now, Mark Similey and I are the only two who have wrapped up our playoff spot. Ritz, after starting 6-1 has lost 4 of his last 5 and really needs to win his last game to make the playoffs. Jesse who also started 6-1 has lost 4 of his last 5 and needs to win this week to ensure that he makes the playoffs.
- This has been a super competitive league. 3 teams are stilly vying for 2 playoff spots in the final week. No teams had clinched until the second to last week of the season. I have never seen a league with so much parity. I have also only been in a league one other time with Trav when he did not make the playoffs. That was the year that the commish cheated and we both set the earth on fire before being kicked out of the league.
- Marcela and I purchased bicycles on Black Friday. I got a cool little mountain bike for all the mountains here in FL, and Marcela got a multi-speed hybrid.
- I have to go, Max just did something bad!
Filed under Blogging, communications, fantasy football, FL, food, football, games, Max, movies, NFL, Pets, sports, technology, thoughts