- I have been dreaming about fishing constantly lately. I actually got to go out again today into the gulf stream and slam some dolphin with a few friends from work and one of their son’s.
- We were on the water by 6:30 AM (an hour later than planned) and filled the live well with baby jack and pinfish. Allen (the kid) had fun just catching bait. That’s one of the cool things about catching your own bait with kids, they get to participate.
- We ran from Bayfront south to Pumpkin Key, then out through the cut into the ocean side, past the reefs and into open water. Immediately, we were in blue water and found weeds. They didn’t hold any fish though.
- We decided to go deeper so we headed about 10 more miles east to roughly 700 feet of water. We scanned the seas for weeds and found them finally. Trolling north, the weed patches were full of dolphin (mahi-mahi), triple tail, bait fish, and shark.
- I put out the planer and Tony put out two rigged ballyhoo and we were on fish immediately. It was like total chaos, fish flopping all over the boat, blood everywhere. We lost two nice dolphin trying to keep the school close, but overall it was successful for a bunch of rookies.
- One crazy thing happened. In the middle of the school of dolphin was what appeared to be a cobia. I threw a jig at it and boom it was on. I fought it pretty hard and it wasn’t until it got pretty close that I realized it was a reef shark. I got it close enough and Tony gaffed it. That sucker was trying to bite everyone! It was great.
- We ran north to the Pacific Light and found more weeds. By this time it was around noon so it was HOT. That is usually not a great thing for dolphin.
- Regardless, we got a hit after trolling a large patch of weed and it had two followers. We got on the other one too, and we ended up with two more decent gaffer mahi in the boat.
- After this, it was getting hot and the bite was off so we headed in to Caesar’s Creek for some snapper. We got about 12 mangrove snapper and I caught one more shark that we released.
- Overall, for a bunch of rookies (with the exception of Tony) we did pretty good. With some preparation, I know we can really mop it up next time.
- BTW, even though I am sunburned and exhausted, the shark steaks are in my fridge right now. Grilled shark will be on the menu tomorrow night. Now we will see who bites who!
Shark! The shark was cruising with the school of dolphin.
Filed under fishing, FL, food
- I am seriously tired! I just got back from a fishing trip to Islamorada with my friend Tony on the Sea King. We caught yellowtail, mangrove snapper, lots of grunt, and got snapped off several times by mackerel and ‘cuda.
- I drank 5 of the 20 ounce bottles of water while out, but I still got overwhelmed by the heat. I actually got really sick when we got back. It was a combination of the heat and the fumes from the diesel engine on the boat.
- Marcela will be back in 2 days! I can’t wait. That makes today the 19th day of my bachelorhood.
- I have been experiencing record blog traffic for the past two weeks. I am currently the number one search on Google for the Top 5 Muscle Cars, top 5 rock guitar solos, most annoying songs, beetlejuice shrunken head, and differences ways to cook fish for dinner. I did not alter the search terms, so you can save your comments about my grammar.
- I will be working over the next couple weeks to create a fantasy football league for the LPC folks. If you think you can hang with Pastor Trav and yours truly, join up and prepare for a beating.
- I have to clean the house between today and tomorrow. Marcela is going to kill me if I don’t. 🙂 If I told you that my plan was to leave the house a wreck so that Marcela would not want to go away again, I was only kidding.
- I was worried about our little hermit crab “Obi” because I haven’t seen him since Marcela left. I dug around in his cage and has been burrowed in his sand for the last 3 weeks. He’s ok! He must not like my company as much as Marcela’s. So I took him out of the sand and he just dug back down again. Oh well.
- This weekend’s “Saturday Top 5” is going to be one of the biggest undertakings in this blog’s existence. I will see if I can pull it off without being too presumptuous. Please don’t be angry with me if it does not include something that it should. But it will be big!
- Sunday I will be working so I will try to have a guest writer take on the Talk Soup. For some reason, guest writers just can’t get it done on Sunday. I guess it’s just my dedication to bringing you excellence in blogging and being the first with the most! Right Chris?
Filed under church, family, fishing, FL, football, games, Homestead, life pointe, NFL, sports, vacation, worship